We have the opportunity on the daily to make a positive impact on the world around us.
Whether one goes through their day searching for good deeds to be done,
or simply takes advantage of random opportunities to spread love,
every action (or inaction) has a resounding impact.
The question is: Is your impact today going to be positive, negative, or indifferent?
I have been told that one person can't make a difference.
I affectionately call these people "dummies"...
Those who actively try to hold the rest of us down,
those who would rather watch you drown than help you soar, those who can't grasp the power of positivity to create change.
Whether it's a great recipe found, or an uplifting story to share, you can be sure to find it here.
Let's start a Positivity Revolution, and drown out the dumb!




Thursday, June 11, 2015

Hands Off

I went out last week with my besties, and witnessed/experienced multiple sexual harassment scenarios...

I got my bra unhooked (expertly, and too quickly to protest) by someone trying to prove they "loved breasts" (BTW, who doesn't?). My girlfriend got her tits squeezed by a male who is "just a friend". Someone put their hands around my other friend's throat and kissed her neck (not her boyfriend)...Three girls, at a bar, getting steadily molested by strangers and friends...What fun!


I'll admit I didn't get angry until later, when I was thinking about the culmination of events. I should have said no, I shouldn't have giggled when it made me uncomfortable, I should have stood up for myself. We all probably should have. But what if you're in a public place and just want to be treated with some respect, and not manhandled by everyone who has had a drink. Just because I may participate in flirting doesn't mean I want your hands on me. Like, ever.

So what is acceptable behavior? If I smile at you does that give you permission to treat me like a whore? (It does not.) If I make a raunchy comment because we are in a bar and I've had a few cocktails, does that tell you, as a man, that you can do whatever you want to me? (Also, a screaming no.) Having boundaries and demanding respect doesn't mean I'm a prude, and it doesn't mean I'm a bitch. But I'll bet if I slapped your hand away, or better yet, slapped your face when you deserved it, you'd be eager to call me one!

I'm allowed to show my sexuality in words, flaunt my awesome cleavage when I can, and still be treated like...a human being. Look all you want, but like Kindergarten, how about keeping your hands to yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in The Positivity Revolution by sharing your success story, your favorite recipe, a beautiful picture...Drown out the dumb!