We have the opportunity on the daily to make a positive impact on the world around us.
Whether one goes through their day searching for good deeds to be done,
or simply takes advantage of random opportunities to spread love,
every action (or inaction) has a resounding impact.
The question is: Is your impact today going to be positive, negative, or indifferent?
I have been told that one person can't make a difference.
I affectionately call these people "dummies"...
Those who actively try to hold the rest of us down,
those who would rather watch you drown than help you soar, those who can't grasp the power of positivity to create change.
Whether it's a great recipe found, or an uplifting story to share, you can be sure to find it here.
Let's start a Positivity Revolution, and drown out the dumb!




Tuesday, March 17, 2015

How to Eat Healthy Without Losing Your Mind

As much as I love myself, I do not love myself in a bikini, I never have. I think it's completely ludicrous that while guys get to wear baggy shorts and flaunt beer bellies all summer, girls only have the choice of tight, privates-on-display second-skin bathing suits. It's simply not fair.

It's around this time of year that I always start to panic. This forever-lasting winter has allowed me the luxury of oversized sweaters and unshaven legs, and there's always an excuse to head right home after work instead of to the gym (usually, it's my rumbling tummy). Pasta, pizza, dinner rolls, mashed potatoes and a whole lot of red wine got me through this dreary winter; and I nearly forgot that summer will follow, along with the necessary evil that is the bikini.

I've made slight adjustments that have not made a difference yet, but there's a great mantra that I repeat every time I feel frustrated: "This did not happen overnight, and neither will the change happen overnight." It helps to keep me patient, because really, I just want to continue to eat like I was eighteen years old...those were the days! I still treat myself to Jimmy John's after a great meeting (that will never stop, I'm completely obsessed with the Vito); but I also keep my fridge stocked with Lean Cuisine paninis and mini pizzas. I know these are high in carbs and sodium, but they are a step down from my 800-calorie (I add mayonnaise because I love it) JJ's fave. Instead of stopping at Starbucks every morning for a Bacon Gouda breakfast sandwich, I opted for the Special K breakfast sandwiches, saving me about 100 calories. They are not anywhere near as good, but they still have bacon, so I'm happy! I bought Pomegranate Arils to snack on instead of pretzels; and I keep Almond Milk in my fridge for my afternoon snack. I also keep my office stocked with Progresso chicken noodle soup (150-200 calories per can), and high-protein snack bars for when I'm on the run. With these small but delicious alterations, it's not been hard to make my day at work a little healthier.

It's dinnertime that gets me. I am a carb-whore, and could eat different variations of pasta (with bread, of course) every night. If it weren't for my boyfriend, I would probably do just that! Here are a couple of my recent dinners that are easy and utterly delicious, they make me forget that in a couple short months, I get to flaunt my body for a bunch of strangers at the pool (yuck):

Fiesta Chicken Breast with Avocado and Tomato Salsa
I loosely followed this recipe from Betty Crocker, and added cilantro, garlic salt, red cayenne pepper, crushed red chili flakes, and parsley to the marinade. I also chose to cook my chicken on a skillet, since it was only two thinly-sliced breasts. I used an entire avocado and one Roma tomato in my salsa, with about a Tablespoon of chopped garlic. So good!


Spaghetti Squash with Prosciutto and Tomatoes
Spaghetti Squash is something I tried only since moving to Ohio, and I LOVE it, especially when I get a hankering for pasta. Cooking spaghetti squash is fast and easy, and this article shows you different ways it can be done! While this is cooking, I'll toss cherry tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms, and prosciutto together in a small saucepan until the tomatoes start to burst. After shredding the squash, add Italian seasoning, garlic, and your toppings, along with a little shredded parmesan.


What are your favorite healthy recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in The Positivity Revolution by sharing your success story, your favorite recipe, a beautiful picture...Drown out the dumb!